New Hope and the Arts
When the old Parry mills were turned into a playhouse for the performing arts in 1939, New Hope was already on it’s way to becoming an art community. A group of visual artists have settled in the area at the turn of the 20th century. They were drawn here by the natural beauty of the river and the rolling hills that surround this place. These artists came to be known as the New Hope School. Three of these artists were Edward Redfield, Daniel Garber and William Lathrop.
The Bucks County Playhouse shown in this photo, is located on a creek in the middle of town, on Main Street.